Saturday, September 5, 2015

                       FORCE FRIDAY: MY ADVENTURE

 
Little decision making was to be had when I first heard about Force Friday. I certainly knew that I DID NOT have the extra money kicking around to spend on action figures, but come hell or high death star I was going to do it anyways! This was sure to be one of those moments in a Star Wars nerds life that should not be passed up and I would just as soon kiss a Wookie, than stay home and sleep like a normal person.

    As most of you know, the big three vying for customers affections were Target, Walmart and Toys R Us. All three heavily advertised that they would be the place to shop come midnight and that events and fun were sure to be had!  Living in Western, Ma however I already suspected that nobody at any of these stores would have any clue of what I was talking about. I called Walmart and was treated to a typical response of "DUHHHHH". Target had no clue what I was talking about either and sent me to three different departments on the phone before I finally just hung up. A later, physical trip to the store yielded some info that they would not be opening at midnight and thus was a deal breaker for myself as I like to do all my nerding by moonlight. Toy's R Us however answered with a resounding "YES!". With A location now picked out, I moved on with my battle plans.
                                              

                                                       
Much turmoil sloshed around inside me in the upcoming days. What figures would I try and buy? What was my battle plan? What time should I arrive? Should I be dressed like Obi-Wan?!?!?
 With time I finalized a course of action. And come Thursday night, I was determined to get the goods. With wife in tote, we headed out the door and onward to fortune and glory. But on our way to Toys R Us I was taken over by a sense of dread! "What if we left too late? The lines probably around the block by now!" thoughts of scores of people dressed like jawas and sand people smugly grasping all the good merchandise ran through my head. I think I ran a red light.
                                            

                                                        

It was 10:30 when we pulled up to the Toys R Us. I was thankfully relieved to discover that the line was only nine people deep! Soon I was sitting on the parking lot pavement, satisfied with our position. The remaining hours flew by! It was everything that I was hoping a gathering of Star Wars fans would create. Quotes from the old films as well as speculation and theories about the new ones dominated the conversations of me and my fellow shoppers. A woman thoughtfully left her car running and played the films soundtrack loud enough to keep the excitement high. And the best part of course was a visit from The 501st! which many of you will know as the amazingly detailed Star Wars costuming organization!  Among all the excitement of selfies being taken and the admiring of the great costuming the final moments ticked down and Midnight was here!
                                         
                                            
As to be expected, it was on! The doors opened and some people started to run. I told my wife to grab the free giveaways and that I would scout ahead. I made a bee line for where I knew the action figures were, my shoes clicking noisily on the floor as I ran by blurs of My Little Pony and Inside Out! Soon I was there, plenty of figures were left at the moment but I knew that once the rest of the wolf pack caught up they would start tearing it apart like oolah in the Rancor pit. I had to act fast. I had decided early that I wanted the two Poe Dameron action figures (something tells me that he will be my new favorite character but come December lets see if I was wrong) and I  found the first one no problem. But where was the second one?!?! My eyes darted nervously over plastic versions of Finn and Stormtroopers and even that stupid CGI Constable alien thing that I'm sure to hate but for the life of me I just couldn't find the Armor Up Poe Dameron! Suddenly it happened. From behind me, hands started grasping and grabbing at any figure they could find. My chances were looking bleak. Like phantom menaces they spirited away any figure they touched. Suddenly I saw him, the only one left and I quickly snatched him up before the Sarlacc pit behind me could get there filthy tentacles on him!
                                       
                                                     

Suddenly, as quick as it began...it was all over. Some customers walked away with big smiles while other shoppers, heads hung low, paced back and fourth trying to find something to justify the wait in line. The stores were not super prepared to deal with this. I was one of the lucky ones. Me and the Mrs.'s got everything that we wanted out of the experience. We had a fun time talking with other fans in line, we got see some people in costumes and we were able to feel that nerdy thrill of getting the thing you want. If anything, it was a great excuse to stay up late and be a geek.
                                         
                                                                          

                                          
                                                                  

 

 

              

 


3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading your Force Friday blog. I also wrote about my experience at Forces of Geek.com http://www.forcesofgeek.com/2015/09/the-force-friday-awakens.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading! It was a good time, thanks for the share I will be happy to swing by and see how you faired!

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed reading your Force Friday blog. I also wrote about my experience at Forces of Geek.com http://www.forcesofgeek.com/2015/09/the-force-friday-awakens.html

    ReplyDelete